Today is 31st October, it's an important day for India as 31st October is Birth Anniversary of the Iron man of India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, who is known for his tireless effort in uniting all the states of India to make it "Akhand Bharat" or United India. Since 2014, 31st October is observed as National Unity Day and people from all walks of life participate in the "Run For Unity" marathon across India.
|Run For Unity on 31st October|
In this page, we have also shared the importance of this day (31st October), Major Events of this day, Birthdays on this day and deaths if any.
Festival/Observations on 31st October
- World Cities Day
- National Unity Day
31st October in the history of India
- Radha Krishna Mathur was sworn in as the first lieutenant governor of Union Territory Ladakh on 31st October 2019.
- 2019 - Jammu & Kashmir cease to be a state; two new Union Territories Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh to come into existence from today that is 31st October 2019.
- 2014 - PM Narendra Modi launched observation of 'National Unity Day', a marathon across India is organised in the name of 'Run For Unity' as a tribute to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on his Birth Anniversary.
- 1984 – Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi is assassinated by two Sikh security guards. Riots break out in New Delhi and other cities and around 3,000 Sikhs were killed.
Birthdays on 31st October
- 1875 – Vallabhbhai Jhaverbhai Patel, popularly known as Sardar Pate, was an Indian lawyer, freedom fighter and politician, 1st Deputy Prime Minister of India (died on 15th December 1950)
- 1858 – Saint Geevarghese Mar Dionysius of Vattasseril, An Indian Orthodox Saint (d. 1934)
Deaths on 31st October
- 2019 - Champak Jain, was a Bollywood producer, has produced films like 'Main Khiladi tu Anari' starring Akshay Kumar and Saif Ali Khan and 'Josh' starring Shahrukh Khan and Aishwarya Rai.
- 2019 - Anil Adhikari, Former MLA representing Falakata constituency, Alipurduar district in the state of West Bengal, India. Anil was also the Falakata Block President of Trinamool Congress Party.
- 2019 - Gurudas Dasgupta was an Indian politician and a leader of the Communist Party of India.
- 2005 – Amrita Pritam was an Indian novelist, essayist and poet, who wrote in Punjabi and Hindi. She is considered the first prominent female Punjabi poet, novelist, essayist and the leading 20th-century poet of the Punjabi language. (Born on 31st August 1919)
- 1984 – Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi was an Indian politician, stateswoman and a central figure of the Indian National Congress. She was the first and, to date, the only female Prime Minister of India. (Born on 19th November 1917)
- 1975 – Sachin Dev Burman, Indian composer and singer (Born 1st October 1906)
- 1929 - Norman Gilbert Pritchard, also known by his stage name Norman Trevor, was a British-Indian sportsperson and actor who became the first Asian-born athlete to win an Olympic medal when he won two silver medals in athletics at the 1900 Paris Olympics representing India. (Born: 23 June 1877, Kolkata)